River Safety with Ultimate Canoe and Kayak
River safety is of paramount importance to us. When you book a canoe or kayak with us you will be given a river safety briefing before you set off. Here are some key point to consider when you are canoeing or kayaking:
- Tell someone where you are going, when you expect to return, and where to call if you don’t. Ultimate Canoe and Kayak will be your point of contact and we monitor your progress and safety.
- Be sure your water skills and experience are equal to the river and the conditions. If you are uncomfortable with the height or speed of the water then do not paddle.
- NEVER boat alone. Stay with your group at all times and paddle at the speed of the slowest member of your group.
- Always wear a properly adjusted life-jacket at all times when you are in or near the river.
- Reduce injuries by wearing protective foot wear and proper clothing.
- Be courteous to other river users, steer clear of others and obvious hazards. Be aware of fisherman who might well have lines out into the river.
- Allow any water craft ahead of you to pass through narrow channels before you enter it. This will avoid trouble if the leading boat blocks the channel.
- When in doubt, stop and scout. If you are still in doubt? Portage.
- Do not drink alcohol or embark on water activities if on strong medication. Consult your doctor if in doubt.
- Carry warm dry clothing for if you get wet. We supply you with water tight containers to keep them dry whilst you are on the water.
Safety on the river is of the upmost importance to us here at Ultimate Canoe & Kayak.
Some more information about safety on the water can be found on the RNLI website here.